I saw Hamilton this weekend! I want to put it all down because I’m shouting this entire post. finally. finally!! I was supposed to go with my mum last April, but the show was canceled due to covid. It was eventually rescheduled, and then that too was cancelled. So, when it was already announced that the show would continue, I was afraid to believe it.
Fortunately, I got charmed for the third time and have seen the currently popular musical Hamilton in Los Angeles. I was very excited and hope it lived up to the hype. This is quite a challenge because all I have heard are absolutely great reviews and how it has been impossible to get tickets for years. Stop.
I originally wanted to see Hamilton for the first time live and in person, but when Disney+ released last year, I relented and watched it once. That was months ago, so I think I have a pretty clean slate of music. I think that was a good idea – I knew how to tell the story, but didn’t memorize it so I wasn’t comparing.
But, since this weekend’s show, I’ve seen it on Disney+ again and plan to keep it in the background whenever I need some inspiring background noise.
In any case.
The moral of this story – I loved it.
Now, I’m sharing a quick list of the best Hamilton quotes from the musical. But first, my favorite things about finally getting to Hamilton in person.
1. Having an excuse to dress up and make up. I haven’t gone out much to eat somewhere that has had outdoor food for about a year. I really closed reeeeaaallllyyyy last year. So, putting on makeup and dress up looks weird and familiar at the same time.
2. I ran 14 miles that morning and used the time in traffic to freeze my knee. bubble.
3. Mom invited Ben to join us, I think he went to Princeton as Aaron Burr. Maybe you thought they were in the same class and Ben a time traveler??!
4. Hamilton plays in Los Angeles at the Pantages Theatre. You are required to show proof of vaccination to attend the show. Masks must be worn while in the theater at all times. There are guides walking around with signs to remind you, but everyone seems to follow the rules.
5. This is me.
Now in no particular order – here are my favorite quotes from Hamilton (which may change as I watch them obsessively)…
11. “Rises!” – Alexander Hamilton
10.“Death is the easy young man, and living is the hardest.” – George Washington
9. “Speak less. Smile more.” – Aaron Burr
Why did Bohr get such a bad reputation for being told to be a better listener? I thought that was good
8. “Love does not distinguish between sinners and saints.” – Aaron Burr
7. “Life, freedom and the pursuit of happiness. We fought for these ideals, we should not settle for less.” – Thomas Jefferson
6. “Look around, look around, how lucky we are to be alive now.” – Elisa Hamilton
5. It will be back to how it was before
I will fight the fight and win the war
For your love, for your praise
I will love you until the days of my death
When you go, I’ll go crazy
So don’t throw away that thing we had
Because when it’s time to pay
I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love.” – King George sings You Will Return
Well, well, you caught me – King George is my favorite part of the musical. But he’s the bad guy so I didn’t put him first.
4. “Immigrants, we’re getting the job done!” – Alexander Hamilton and Marquis de Lafayette
3. Do you want a revolution? I want revelation. So, listen to my declaration: “We hold these truths to be a truism that all men are created equal.” And when I meet Thomas Jefferson, I force him to include women in Part Two! “ – Angelica Schuyler
What if Angelica doesn’t like Hamilton? He just thought so and was feeling it with the comma in the message?!
2. “I may not live to see our glory. But I will gladly take part in the fight. And when our children tell our story, they will tell the story of tonight.”
– Alexander Hamilton
Applies to today. think about it.
1.“I’m just like my own. I’m young, horrible and hungry.” – Alexander Hamilton
Have you seen the musical Hamilton in person?
Did you watch it on Disney+?
What’s your favorite part?!