There are loads of fun virtual races with awesome medals and shirts that you can play in 2021! So don’t let all those race cancellations keep you from training and winning a new medal. So here’s a list of the best virtual races with notes on the perks you get when you sign up. Plus tips on what to consider when choosing the best race for you. Let’s go!
Today we cover:
- What to consider before registering
- List of virtual races with medals
- Resources and locations to find virtual races
What to consider when choosing a virtual race:
- Distance: distance – Many races offer more than one distance as an option, but you have to choose when registering.
- History When do you have to complete the race? Unlike traditional races where everyone runs on the same day, virtual races give you a window of time (often a week or more) to complete the distance.
- How to report your completion time Or prove that you are done. Some virtual races are on the Honor system – once you register they send your medal and your jersey. After that, it’s up to you to get it done. Other virtual races require you to prove completion time by calling a tracking app or sharing a screenshot of your results or a picture of your GPS watch after your run.
- What’s included (Swag baby!) – Not all virtual races give you a medal, nor do less than that give you a jersey, so you have to check what’s included in the registration price. If you want a medal (and / or shirt), be sure to present it and include it in your entry price. Virtual Race Swag can include things like: a medal, shirt, hat / mask, socks, a water bottle, a bag, a training plan, discounts, access to the app and more.
- cost – Virtual races can sometimes cost the same as personal events due to shipping / administration fees. Also, some events that were originally character races had to turn virtual due to Covid. Therefore, they may still pay more employees wages and make up for lost money to stay in business. Just because it’s a virtual race, doesn’t mean it’s low-cost – make sure it fits your budget and whether there are any extra charges (shipping, paying extra for the jersey, etc). Many races donate some of the proceeds to charity (the percentage varies and what charity is broadly). Finally, keep in mind that most virtual races are non-refundable.
Note – some of these “ virtual races ” are usually personal events, but due to Covid19 only had to be changed to virtual. So if you really want to run a specific race but may never be able to travel to or otherwise run that location, this could be your chance. (It may not be the hypothetical race next year.)
- He went to run virtual races Probably one of the most popular virtual racing organizations, they have provided several virtual races every month for years. So they are very organized and the site looks the most professional compared to other virtual race sites. But these races often cost a little more.
- Race distances include 5km, 10km, half marathons, and full marathons.
- Includes: a racing medal and a jersey *. All races include a medal, most include a jersey, and races without a shirt have something like a pair of socks, a mask, or a headband.
- Cost: $ 26.99- $ 39.99
- Virtual dash medal races Virtual races of 5 km, 10 km, half marathons and full marathons. They have a very fun race coming up – Godzilla vs Kong. You choose whether you want to be in “Team Godzilla” or “Team Kong” – and you get the medal by choosing your team! You choose 5km / 10km / 13.1 miles, choose your team and if you want a shirt. Get more information about Godzilla v Kong Virtual Race is here.
- Include: a medallion and an apron. You can add a shirt or a sleeveless shirt for more.
- Cost: $ 35.75-52.75
- Virtual Run events April 2021 races – The site offers virtual races from 1 mile to 26.2 miles. The race registration includes a medal. T-shirts and other gifts are available for an additional fee [they’re sold on another site, so after you register for a race you can click a link to shop around].
- Includes: Racing Medal (shirts are available separately)
- Cost: $ 25- $ 55 [You can get a 15% discount when you sign up for their newsletter.]
- Challenges of Conqueror – Virtual running challenges where you can register to complete a specified distance within a period of time. So, it’s not quite the same as a race that you don’t need to do the full distance in one run – you can add miles over time to finish the distance you’ve scored.
- Includes: a tracking app (so they can see you are doing the distance), a medal and a shirt for an additional fee.
- Cost: $ 35- $ 55 – varies. The shirt is extra. Shipping is not included.
- Default operation It lists many different races with super fun medals for 5 km and 10 km. As of now, the site lists a half marathon and a marathon – but doesn’t have any races listed for those distances.
- Virtual Run 10K races – Many different racing themes which include a medal and a jersey for an additional fee. Many races say they’ve sold out of T-shirts, so check carefully if you want one.
- Cost: Starts at $ 15.00
- Virtual Run 5K races – Several different 5K race themes come with a medal. Someone offers a shirt for an extra fee, but it’s now sold out.
- Cost: Starts at $ 15.00
- I am a 5K runner kiss me – via Gone for a Run Virtual Races
- Cost: $ 27-40
- Include: a medal, T-shirt or tank, and a printable racing apron. You yourself report race time (results) on their site so you can compare results with others.
- Run then Paddy Hard 5K – via Gone for a Run Virtual Races
- Cost: $ 36.99
- Includes: a medal, a T-shirt and a printable racing apron. You yourself report race time (results) on their site so you can compare results with others.
- Girl power 5 kg, 10 kg, half or full marathon – via Gone for a Run Virtual Race
- Cost: $ 32.99
- Include: Medal, stockings or gaiters, printable racing bib. [No shirt – you choose between a pair of socks or gaiter/headband instead. This makes it a little cheaper than the other races from this company.] You yourself report race time (results) on their site so you can compare results with others.
- Yeti Ultra 24 Hour Challenge Run or walk 5.2 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours! That’s a total of 6 runs for 50k
- Cost: $ 49
- Includes: a racing medal and a shirt. Plus bragging rights – this is a very unique challenge!
- Details – You must follow the challenge directions: Run or walk 5.2 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours (complete 50K). Then report your time on the site. You have until June 1st to tune in and refresh your time. Registration closed on April 30th.
Consider running a virtual race organized by a store, club, or local racing organization. Your regular domestic races may offer a default option this year. If you always ran the 4th of July 5 annual km in your city (or something similar) – don’t assume it’s canceled. Check to see if the race will take place around this year.
Doing a local race (even if it’s hypothetical) can really help small businesses running and running to be financially hurt by the pandemic. Many races also donate some proceeds to local charities – so these groups have had a lot of success with donations as fundraising events have been canceled.
Bear in mind – small businesses sometimes don’t have the same technology resources as large ethnic organizations. Therefore, their site may not have all the updates.
- Website (s) and publications for the community or city
- Local running groups or running clubs
- Local operating stores (go in and ask where possible)
- Instagram and Facebook pages of local ethnicity
- Blogs and social media posts for local runners in your area
Examples of virtual people races in April:
- Salt Lake City Marathon, Half Marathon, 10 km, 5 km virtual races – Run your race between April 10-25
- Cost: $ 70 Marathon / $ 65 Half Marathon / $ 10,000 Half Marathon $ 45/5K – Plus an additional fee if you need to mail your race loot.
- Includes: a shirt and a medal (the site says “swag” so it’s unclear if there are any additional perks)
- The hypothetical historical half of the Marine Corps –May 2021 (Not April but a well-respected race that might be fun to play virtually)
- You will receive: The participant’s shirt, final medal and commemorative apron for the year 2021 will be mailed to the address provided by the participants during registration.
Rock and Roll Marathon – Virtual racing club… so this is not a virtual race but you can do virtual run challenges to get loot.
Join the Rock N Roll Virtual Running Club for free. You register and plug in your running app to get started. After that, you can earn points for the races and challenges you play. These points add up until you can win the loot.
Run the Disney Virtual Race Series Run Disney organized several virtual races to replace all personal races that had to be canceled.
They give a medal but I haven’t included them on the main list because they are all sold out. But I keep it on the list because racing medals are so cool and fun. I will update this list if any new virtual races are added!
Boston Marathon It will host a virtual race this year. The personal race is usually in April but has been postponed to October. The number of personal event runners will be a smaller field than normal. Registration for the personal and virtual races opens at the end of the month. The default Boston Marathon will be just 26.2 km.
More resources and information about virtual races:
If you are a race manager and have an update on your race you’d like to share – via email [email protected]
Follow RunEatRepeat on Instagram Let me know what races are you doing this year!