If you are having trouble sleeping, you may feel that your mind and body are working together to keep you awake.
But if you know which essential oils to use for sleep, you can create recipes that are proven to help you relax.
Today’s recipe is a DIY essential oil flax mist that works in a number of ways: Calming your mind, de-stressing your body (relaxing muscles and calming nerves).
How do essential oils for sleep help you relax?
The essential oils in this flax mist recipe are rich in some well-researched and relaxing ingredients:
- Linalool – When I use essential oils for sleep, I often reach for those rich in linalool. This is possibly the most researched essential oil ingredient, with a long list of soothing effects! It calms muscles, reduces inflammation, releases tension, calms the nervous system, relieves anxiety, and more.
- DrLimonene It is found in all citrus oils, Dr-Limonene has been shown to relieve muscle tension. Studies in 2006, 2007, and 2012 showed that it can help reduce feelings of anxiety and get positive emotions flowing through the body. This is why citrus oils are so beneficial for people who suffer from chronic depression or insomnia.
Two essential oils for sleep!
I make this flax mist recipe using tamala (rich in linalool) and sweet orange (rich in DrLimonene)
Tamala oil has a very unique aroma! It is warm, like cinnamon, but much softer. (It doesn’t have a bold, spicy cinnamon rim, so it’s more relaxing.) Sweet Orange adds a refreshing, shiny note to Tamala.
Soft cinnamon and orange? I feel more comfortable already!
Linalool and Limonene Linen Sleep Mist
- 2 oz (60 ml) frankincense water)Boswellia carterii)
- 14 drops of tamala essential oil (Tamala cinnamon Ct. Linalool)
- 10 drops of sweet orange oil (Citrus sinensis)
- 4 ml Solopol
Make your mixture in a 2-ounce (60-ml) bottle.
Mix the water and essential oils in the bottle, making sure to leave a little space for adding Solubol. (Solubol is a natural dispersant. Since hydrosol is water based, essential oils will not remain completely mixed with it. Solubol helps keep oils dispersed.)
Once you’ve put all of your ingredients in the bottle, shake it well and spray it around your bed – under your pillow, over blankets, and wherever you want the comforting scent of oils to surround you as you stick yourself in it. The night. You will want to shake it well before each use.
Want more sleep support?
I like to take a warm bath before bed. Warm water is an effective treatment for tension knots in muscles. And when to add the essential oil bath salt? bliss!
This bath salt recipe is from the Aromahead Blog Made with frankincense and Roman chamomile, two other essential oils for sleep, create a calming mood.
What is the frankincense solution?
The base of this mixture is frankincense water, which has a refreshing balsamic scent.
Hydrosol is the water-based fraction of the distillate, and it is produced during the same process as the essential oil. During distillation, frankincense resin is loaded into a water heater. When the consonant is heated, the water becomes steam and is immersed in the water-soluble parts of the frankincense. While the vapor condenses again in the water, it is still saturated with these properties.
Frankincense hydrosol helps relax, and it’s great for skin care too.
Fukumoto, S., Morishita, A., Furutachi, K., Terashima, T., Nakayama, T. and Yokogoshi, H. (2007) The effect of flavor components in lemon essential oil on physical or psychological stress. Stress and health 24, 1, 3–12.
Lima, NG, de Souza, DP, Pimenta, FC, Alves, MF, de Souza, FS, (2012a) anxiolytic-like activity and GC-MS analysis of limonene fragrance (R) – (+) – limonene, a natural compound found in foods And plants. Pharmacology, Biochemistry, and Behavior 103, 450-454.
Buchbauer, G., Jirovetz, L., Jager, W., Plank, C. and Dietrich, H. (1993) Fragrance compounds and essential oils with sedative effects upon inhalation. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 82, 6, 660-664.