If you want to make a magical meal, learn how to cook mushrooms.
Mushroom adds nutrition And tons of flavors – if you know how to cook it right.
“Mushrooms are low in calories and Pack the nutrition punch‘ says the nutritionist Vandana Sheth, RDN, CDCES, FAND, Author My Indian Table: Quick and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes.
In terms of flavor, “mushrooms are low in sodium, but high in umami, which ultimately allows you to use less salt while still achieving a great taste,” he adds. Jackie Newgentand RDN, CDN, Chef, Dietitian, and Author The clean and simple diabetes cookbook.
Read on to learn how to cook mushrooms to perfection – so they’re full of flavor and never chewy or soft!
How to clean mushrooms
Be careful when cleaning mushrooms. Newgent explains that if you use a lot of water, it will take longer for it to become brittle or brown.
Alternatively, use a wet paper towel to get rid of any debris or quickly rinse and pat dry.
Trim off any tough stems, and you’re ready to go.
How do you burn mushrooms?
Sautéing or sautéing mushrooms deepens the flavor for a great side or addition to a recipe, like this Chicken breast with sauteed mushroom.
If you are wondering how to cook oyster mushrooms or how to cook shiitake mushrooms, try this method.
Newgent says it also works with any type of mushroom, including white button, cremini, portobellos, beech, hornbeam, maitake (the chicken of the forest) and lion’s mane.
- If the mushrooms are of different sizes, cut them into equal-sized pieces.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil or butter (optional!) in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add mushrooms in a single layer. Give them plenty of room, or they’ll steam instead of brown.
- Cook mushrooms for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Flip and repeat until golden brown.
- Season to taste and serve.
How to grill mushrooms
Ask a chef how to cook portobello mushrooms, and they’ll probably suggest grilling because these won’t fall out through the grates.
Sheth also suggests grilling maitake and shiitake mushrooms.
“The higher heat develops and enhances its flavour,” she explains.
- Grease the mushrooms with oil. Add any spices you want.
- Grill the mushrooms directly over medium heat until grill marks form, about five minutes per side.
- Grease it with sauce or other spices and serve.
Grill baby mushrooms on skewers or using a grill basket.
How to roast mushrooms
“Most mushrooms are roasted well, especially whole or quartered white button, cremini, portabella, and maitake mushrooms,” says Newgent.
So buy your favorites and try this method.
Just don’t cut them into very thin slices – the mushrooms will shrink by about half when cooked.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease the mushrooms or toss them with a teaspoon of oil and any desired seasoning. Spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet or plate.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
How to cook stuffed mushrooms
Stuffed white button, cremini, or portobello mushrooms make great appetizers or party food.
Try this recipe for Mushroom stuffed with spinach and cheese Or make your own filling.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the filling you want. Place the stuffed lids on the baking dish.
- Bake until mushrooms are soft and filling is bubbling and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
How to raise the level of mushrooms
Try these other tips to make mushrooms taste better:
- Make mushroom meat. Add finely chopped mushrooms to minced meat and mix well. Shape the mixture into the shape you want (burger patties, meatballs, taco filling, etc.) and cook as usual until fully cooked. You’ll get all the delicious flavor, with more moisture and fewer calories.
- try this slow cooker garlic and mushrooms recipe.
- Turn mushrooms into “bacon”. Cut the mushrooms into thin slices and then mix in oil and spices such as smoked paprika and liquid smoke for that extra “bacon” flavor. Roast at 275 F for 75 minutes, then turn off the oven and let the mushrooms cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
Want more expert nutritional advice and tips? head over to BODNutrition.com to learn how Beach Body Nutrition programs and products can help you lead a healthier lifestyle.