Coconut oil benefits
1. Helps you lose weight
It contains medium chain fatty acids that the body can use for sustainable and effective energy. Although you may have heard that coconut oil contains large amounts of saturated fat (correct!), not all of these saturated fats are created equal.
“These medium-chain fatty acids are metabolized differently by the body than long-chain fatty acids, which are associated with negative health outcomes such as high cholesterol and risk of heart disease (these guys are the reason we usually stay away from foods with a high saturated content). Fats) , “ Says.
“Medium-chain fatty acids are shorter, are quickly used as an energy source, and are often converted into ketones, which have a positive effect on the brain and can aid weight loss.Sherry adds.
2. Balances cholesterol
Coconut oil can help raise your HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol (that’s the good stuff!). Adequate levels of HDL cholesterol and a balanced ratio of HDL: LDL has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease.
“So, along with helping with weight loss, coconut oil makes a good name for it for reducing cardiovascular disease risk factors in general,” Sherry says.
3. It can act as antibacterial
Antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral effects! Can this wonder oil get better?
Sherry tells us, Coconut oil contains a substance called lauric acid. Lauric acid makes it very difficult for fungi and viruses to survive and is known for its antibacterial properties.”
Make coconut oil a strong contender to help curb the overgrowth of bad bacteria.
4. Controls cravings
Coconut oil will help control food cravings, will keep you full for longer and stabilize your blood sugar. The ketones that the sherry mentioned above may have the added benefit of decreasing your appetite.
“Feeling satisfied longer may also be related to the way the body metabolizes these medium-chain fatty acids,” Says.
5. Helps treat and protect hair and skin problems
Studies have praised coconut oil for improving the moisture content of hair and skin. The super fatty acids in the oil are able to act as a super rich moisturizer and also help to lock in protein molecules in your hair – preventing protein loss and increasing hair strength. Hello post-pregnancy hair savior!
Sherry says, “Externally, coconut oil has also been studied for its SPF qualities, which are useful as a weak sun protection factor (reducing approximately 20% of UV rays).”
So what are the best things to buy?
- Cheree says that when buying coconut oil, look for an organic, unrefined oil that you can get at most local supermarkets and at any good health food stores.
- Some of the go-tos for Cheree are Niugini, Melrose (available easily in supermarkets), Honest to Goodness, and Nutiva.
It is used for coconut oil
1. Dissolve a teaspoon in coffee, tea or other hot drinks
I just added a boost of energy in the healthy form of 100% fat, which helps balance out any stimulants or sugars that may be lurking in those hot drinks. It’s great in a turmeric latte!
2. Use it as a moisturizer for your skin, or as a nourishing hair treatment
Smooth it all over your skin – not only will it smell delicious and will hydrate your skin, but you’ll also experience those added benefits of applying an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent all over your body!
3. Cook with coconut oil!
Coconut oil has a high smoke point, which makes it a stable cooking oil compared to other oils that can spoil when exposed to high temperatures.
4. Add it to juices!
Drinking your juice will have the same blood sugar-regulating benefits as adding it to your hot drinks. A super gentle way to add essential fatty acids to your day! You can use MCT oil which is a more refined version of coconut oil to avoid clumping.
5. Try oil pulling! Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic technique that involves moving the oil in the mouth for 15-20 minutes (spit afterwards and rinse with water). This technique will help eliminate toxins, reduce plaque, improve oral health and may even help whiten teeth.
How do you store this superfood?
Since coconut oil is so shelf-stable, it can be kept in the cupboard for up to two years!
On warmer days, you’ll notice that your oil will become liquid, you can choose to store it in the refrigerator which is when it will turn completely solid again—either way, Cheree says there’s no fuss with this stuff, it’s just down to personal preference.
Healthy mummy recipes with coconut oil
If you are keen to try a little coconut oil in your cooking, here are some delicious recipes that you must try:
Minty Place Coconut Balls – See the full recipe here.
Coconut and caramel tart – See the full recipe here.
Lamb and coconut curry – See the full recipe here.
Are you ready to start losing weight?
Do you want to change your weight but feel like you don’t have time in your day to exercise and eat healthy?
This is where the mummy is healthy 28 day weight loss challenge I can help.
What do you get? You can access:
- 28 Days Home Workout Routine (No Gym Needed) – With Video Instructions
- Customizable, breastfeeding-friendly meal plans
- Time-Saving Workouts for Busy Moms – Under 30 Minutes
- The challenge combines Pilates, interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels.
- Home to thousands of easy-to-prepare recipes.