I’ve probably had a bowl of cereal with milk every morning before school since I was growing up. My mum is a teacher and our school started 15 minutes before her work – so mornings were often brisk while my mum, brother and I were getting ready to eat and we walked out the door with seconds to spare.
Fortunately, a bowl of cereal is an easy breakfast treat and I loved it (in fact, I still do!). At that time I just liked how it tasted. Now I appreciate that a serving of milk with whole grains provides a great combination of protein and carbs to keep you full until lunch.
Today, I’m sharing a fun twist on this breakfast classic with a cereal milk smoothie. I use Real California Milk because it is sustainably sourced and comes from California dairy farming families.
The first step is to make cereal milk. It’s the basis for this smoothie recipe, but you can also use it in other recipes, like a latte or just drink it.
Cereal milk can be made from most corn flakes or wheat grains. The classic version is made with cornflakes, but I also made it with a random mix of leftover cereal and it works great. Basically, use whatever kind of pills you have on hand.
We often had a few cereal cans with less than a serving left or a lot of crumbs…so we’d shove them to the back of the cupboard (sorry mom!). These abandoned pills will end up getting old and discarded.
Now you can use it in this recipe. I love finding delicious ways to avoid food waste.
Well…let’s make cereal milk!
- 3 cups of real California milk
- 2 cups cornflakes (or of your choice)
- 1 TB sugar
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Grain toast: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spread the cereal on a baking sheet. Toast on the middle rack for 10 minutes. Leave it to cool completely.
- Milk mixture: Mix the milk, sugar and salt. Mix with cereal. Setting: Leave the milk and cereal in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to remove the grains from the milk. Squeeze the cereal to get all the milk out. Refrigerate the milk until it is ready to use.
Tip: Make your cereal ahead of time so it’s ready for a quick breakfast drink. Just keep it in the fridge and stir well before using it in the recipe.
Cereal milk smoothie recipe
- 1 cup of cereal milk made with real California milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 6 oz Real California Strawberry and Banana Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend well. (Add more ice for a thicker juice.)
Serve in a bowl and top with your favorite cereal, fruits and nuts.
Remember to look for the Real California Milk Seal to support farm families. I truly appreciate that California dairy farmers are world leaders in sustainable farming practices.
You can learn more about Real California Milk Sustainability on their site here.
visit Real California Milk website for more inspiring recipes here.
This publication is in partnership with Real California Milk. . All opinions are mine
You may also like: